Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Project: Marie Skirt

Clockwise from top left: Front, Left, Back, Right
(Hem is taken out)

This weekend I made this skirt using the free Marie Skirt pattern on Burda Style.  Although I took my measurements to make this skirt, the waist ended up being looser than I anticipated.  The waist hangs lower on my hips than it was designed to, and thus lowers the hips of the skirt down below my natural hip making it look strange and ill-fitting (a.k.a. my butt isn't usually that big!).

Unfortunately I didn't make a muslin (since I am lazy and never do, especially because I got the fabric on sale for $6 and this is just the leftovers from my dress) and in my hurry to finish it, I didn't try it on before placing the zipper either.  I took out my hem and tried doing some alterations without moving the zipper, (i.e. pinning up the back or other side) but because of the pleats, taking it in too much caused them to pull and look strange (In the photos I had already taken in each side about 1.5 inches).

I don't know if I'll ever wear this thing, it's just not very flattering on my body and I don't know if I'm committed enough to it to tear the whole thing apart and start over if I'm not really going to want to wear it anyway.



Marie #9177



My Review:
Pattern Description:
Highwaisted Tulip-shaped skirt

Pattern Sizing:
34-44

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?
The instructions aren't super clear if you are a beginner, they tend to be a little vague.  I really didn't look at them after my first skim through and just did my own thing.  It's a very easy skirt to put together if you have ever made a skirt with a waistband before. It took me an afternoon to sew it and then a bit longer to alter it.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I liked how easy the pattern was, I disliked that it ran larger than I expected from the measurements.

Fabric Used:
Black and White suiting (Joann Fabrics) and Cotton print for the inside waistband.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

  • Shortened skirt by 6 inches(?approx.)
  • Removed one set of pleats in the back to reduce fullness.
  • Added back seam because of fabric shortage!

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I probably won't sew this pattern again, and if I do, it will be with some alterations to the fit.  I think I would also invert the pleats so that the skirt doesn't dip in and give the illusion of baggy shorts.

Conclusion:
Interesting skirt for a beginning sewer.  Just learn from me and make sure you check your fit BEFORE you decide to finish!

4 comments:

  1. What if you took the sides down a bit, not so curved? I'm not sure how those pleats are supposed to go. They are pretty deep, but if the sides weren't so poofy, maybe they would work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the most sophistocated skirt I ever made was made with knit and it was literally stitched onto my body to "fit" it, before using the old machine...
    therefore you still win in this case haha. I love the idea- sorry it didn't work out how you wanted :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness, this reminded me that I finished about 90% of a BurdaStyle Marie last year, then I went on spring break and never finished it! Hmm, must go root around in sewing box to see if I still have all the pieces! I think i just need to do the zipper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you tried taking it in at the back seam?it'll just bring the pleats closer together so it shouldn't affect the look of the skirt too much.
    Trade secret - You can also add a few tacking stitches to the inside of the pleats so they don't open up too wide.
    Keep going with it lady it's a cute skirt.

    ReplyDelete